Most of you would know and agree, losing weight is no easy task. Not only would you need to put in maximum effort, but you also need to practice patience to see any noticeable improvements.
But what if I tell you that you might not have to wait months to lose a few pounds? What if, to lose weight, you only need to concentrate on specific exercises that target your stubborn body fat? Sounds interesting, right?
If you plan to lose weight fast, then High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is the best exercise for you. Unlike cardio exercises, HIIT workouts for women can help burn calories, shed pounds, and give you excellent results in just a fraction of time.
What’s more, they are perfect for women who cannot afford to spend long hours on cardio and strength training to get the perfect summer body. Keep reading to learn more about HIIT workouts for women and how you can incorporate these exercises even at home.
What is HIIT?
Before we get to the types and effects of these efficient exercises, let us first understand what HIIT actually entails.
High-Intensity Interval Training or HIIT is exactly how it sounds, intense. However, it does not include continuous intense exercises throughout the whole workout. Instead, you have short periods of high-intensity workouts, followed by short intervals of lower intensity exercises.
As a result, HIIT does not put constant strain on your muscles and offers quick muscle recovery even during the workout regime. Moreover, they are highly beneficial in burning maximum calories due to Exercise Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption.
This means that not only does the entire high-intensity workout consume high amounts of energy during the exercise, but our body also keeps utilizing calories post-exercise for recovery. In fact, you can end up using high amounts of calories for even around 48 hours after HIIT workouts for women.
According to research in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning, you can burn around 30% more calories by combining resistance and aerobic exercises.
Since women, especially moms, are generally quite short on time, these exercises are perfect for targeting weight loss over a short period. However, keep in mind that the afterburn effect and the number of calories burnt depend on how intense your workouts are.
HIIT Workouts for Women
Now that you know about HIIT workouts let us move on to some of the best HIIT workout routines.
There is no surprise that you can find excellent HIIT workouts for women on YouTube from trainers like Kelsey Wells, Chloe Ting, and Pamela Reif. These trainers and influencers have multiple HIIT workout routines for beginners, weight loss, strength training, and even routines that target specific areas for body fat.
Here are some HIIT workouts that you can follow right from the comfort of your home.
15-min HIIT Workout
It is possible to burn a large number of calories within just 15-minutes of the following high-intensity workouts. It targets all your body muscles and includes a good part of cardio exercise.
The routine involves multiple exercises that you need to perform for 30 seconds each, following it up with a 10-second break. Try to do maximum reps in each section and move on to the next.
Since the whole workout includes only four HIIT exercises, repeat the entire routine as many times as possible during your workout. Make sure to take a break for just one minute to maximize the calorie burn. Start with
- Jump Squats, keeping your feet wider than your hips. Next, with a tight core and upright chest, bend your knees like a standard squat. Then, jump off the ground as high as possible while coming up from the squat.
- Runner’s Lunge and Mountain Climber combine a typical runner’s lunge position with a jumping mountain climber. Keep your arms extended on the ground and jump alternatively to switch your feet from their position.
- High Knees are some of the most controversial exercises. While some people really love the burn, others are not particularly inclined towards it. However, there is no doubt that just 30 seconds of this exercise can burn massive amounts of calories.
- Roll up to Tuck Jump is a little tricky. You need to start with a standing position, then quickly sit down and roll your body onto the mat. Next, bend your knees to the chest and use your momentum to roll back to your feet and stand up with a bit of jump.
Kelsey Wells’ Advanced HIIT Workout for Women
This is another four-move workout routine, which takes around five minutes for each circuit and targets your whole body fitness. You have to perform maximum reps in 20 seconds each, rest for just 10 seconds, and go on to the next exercise.
After each circuit, you can rest for 30 seconds to a minute and repeat the whole routine as many times as possible. Here are the four HIIT exercises to incorporate into your daily routine for full-body fitness.
Burpee and Tuck Jump is another high-intensity move that combines a standard burpee with a tuck jump and involves your whole body. Start by placing your hands right in front of your toes and softly jump onto a high plank. Next, jump again to bring your feet right behind your hands, and hop up from the ground while bringing your knees towards your abdomen.
High Knees are straightforward. Just keep your arms by your side, extend your forearm, and lift your knees to touch your palm alternately. Make sure to keep up your pace to get the maximum benefit.
Sprawl involves squatting down and placing your hands in front of your feet. Then, you have to jump and move your body into a high plank, keeping your body straight and in line. Next, jump back to your original position and hop back up on your feet. You have to follow the exercise at high speed for the best result.
- Jump Squat includes squatting with your thighs parallel to the ground, jumping up from the squat while straightening your body, and then moving back to a squat without a break.
Quick HIIT Workout for Rapid Weight Loss
This is a more complex and higher intensity exercise that targets your whole body for faster weight loss. Unlike the two routines mentioned above, you will also need a weighted kettlebell swing for your workout routine.
If you do not own one, you can always customize and replace the exercise with another HIIT move.
The following are all the exercises included in the HIIT routine. Do maximum reps for 35 seconds each and rest for around 15 seconds between each exercise.
Round One involves 35 seconds each of heavy kettlebell swing, pushups, and plank. Repeat the circuit three times, rest for one minute, and move on to the next one.
Round Two starts with kettlebell goblet squats for 35 seconds and moves on to bent-over rows. Lastly, finish it up with side planks on each side. Again, do three circuits and rest for a minute.
Round Three includes four exercises, including heavy kettlebell swings, plant walk-ups, split squats, and jump squats. Perform multiple reps in each exercise, repeat the circuit three times, and rest for around one minute.
How Often Can You Do HIIT?
Undoubtedly, HIIT workouts are one of the most taxing exercises on your body. While initially, you may find it hard to get out of bed to do a workout, most people get hooked on HIIT after seeing excellent results.
However, most trainers advise against doing HIIT daily. Since it strains our body, you need to give time to your body to recuperate. Typically, it would help if you did HIIT workouts three to four times a week or every alternate day for quick muscle recovery.
Besides this, you can either do HIIT workouts alone or combine different exercises. For example, some athletes mix HIIT with strength training or add some cardio to gain full-body fitness.
Tips for doing HIIT Workouts at Home
Although many people prefer to join a gym to work out, others opt for exercising at home. If you like the latter, here are some tips to help you carry out efficient HIIT workouts at home.
- Make sure to always perform warm-up exercises before jumping into HIIT. You can try stretching, jumping jacks, butt kicks, glute bridges, or jogging to prevent any injury during HIIT workouts.
- Choose a designated, peaceful place to work out in your home.
- You can either look for a HIIT workout routine that works for you on YouTube or customize your own if you find a premade routine too basic or complex. Change it up, but keep it in line with your stamina, needs, and your preference.
- Time your exercise routine and increase the time gradually every few days. Beginners should start with just four to five minutes of HIIT workout every day.
- Put in maximum effort in each HIIT to see the full benefits.
- Do not do HIIT routines more than three to four times a week. However, it is also essential to remain consistent and not slack off.
- Make sure to cool down and stretch your body again after finishing your HIIT routine. You can even try using massage guns like Exogun to relieve soreness and tension knots from target areas.
HIIT workouts for women are the fastest and efficient ways to lose weight and get toned in a short time. They involve intense exercises that target almost all your body parts and even reduce stubborn body fat successfully.
If you want to start your weight loss journey with HIIT workouts, make sure to start slow. Since these exercises are also quite demanding on your body, make sure to do warm-up and cool-down exercises to prevent any injury.
In case you have an underlying medical condition, contact your doctor before starting any high-intensity workout.